Jun 29, 2022
Chris Hampshire hosts this
week’s conversation from Risk World, where everyone is looking for
the next generation of talent for the insurance industry. He is
joined by Laura Botero, a senior in the Risk Management Program at
Illinois State University, for a conversation about how she decided
on risk management, how she is getting more involved, and her
impressions of the insurance industry as top career of choice.
Laura shares her advice to both young people who might be interested in a
career in insurance and to those who are already successful in the
industry, as well as some ways that the perception of the insurance
industry can be changed for the next generation.
- Laura shares the journey that led her to the
risk management industry.
- Interaction with prospective employers and
other opportunities that are available to students of risk
- Insights into the current state of diversity,
equity, inclusion, and belonging within the industry.
- Attracting new talent into the industry through
scholarships and attendance at networking events.
- Laura offers a message to young people who
might be interested in a career in insurance, and to those who are
already successful in the industry.
- The benefits and networking opportunities that
come with membership in Gamma Iota Sigma.
- Advice to employers for attracting talent
through tuition reimbursement and other employee
- Changing the perception of the insurance
industry starts with word of mouth.
- Laura addresses the global issue of the talent
gap within the insurance industry and post-pandemic working
Keep Getting Better
Gamma Iota Sigma
- “Insurance is so attractive to me because
insurance is naturally global.”
- “There are a lot of job openings right now in
the insurance industry.”
- “Take all of the opportunities. You never know
who you’re going to meet and what you’re going to find
- “When looking at new talent or in the interview
process, that connection is probably what drives students
- “I wish I had started earlier and listened to
those people who told me to join insurance.”